"I read the news today oh boy"

That line from the Beatles song, "A Day in the Life"
hits just the note for me.
Sung,
(whose voice I'm not quite sure. Lennon's maybe. He wrote the words.)
it has a plaintive
tone. So "I read the news today oh boy"
in Nashville,
Tennessee:
"Minuteman Leader Comes to Campuses: Aims to recruit border watchers"
Chris Simcox, president of Minuteman Border Watchers, will be speaking at Belmont University in Nashville and at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro. He was recruited by the Republican Clubs of each school.

The group Simcox heads encourages people to report ("turn in") the names of people who they suspect are illegal immigrants.

Why does this frighten me?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe for the same reason the phrase "home land" kind of scared me when we first started using it a while back after the towers fell.

Another line from another 60's song--
Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" by Stephen Sills--
comes to mind:

"There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear..."

The trouble is it's becoming clearer and clearer what's happening here in this our country and it is scary.

Comments

Popular Posts