Dear Cremomma...Please forgive me


Dear cremomma, we certainly are coming from different places aren't we?

You have an advantage over me because I haven't seen the "televised event" which you describe. I do think "chanting" is a better word for what I was doing than "yelling." I was chanting "Obama" in a very low voice on purpose. A few of us had been chatting with Mr. Rich off camera; I gave him an Obama pin which he accepted graciously and then I teasingly suggested that he wear it. He refused politely. I think the fact that he hugged me at the end (was that on camera?) showed that he recognized and respected my heart.

What my heart was feeling was this:
the amazement and pride all of us Obama supporters had in seeing each other for the first time in such unexpected numbers in a state which our own governor has written off for McCain.

It was as if the thirst of a long lonliness had been quenched. It was a joy unseen and unobserved but something we all felt. I just wanted to testify or as my daughter said, "to represent."

Please forgive me. I do stand by what I said in my previous reply to you: All television programming has been skewed to entertainment values and the selling of image and image-related products. Values are packaged and sold like commodities and many in the entertainment media are unwitting accomplices.

When presented in that fashion values which are a matter of the heart lose their meaning and in fact become weapons we began to hurl at each other in what some people call a "Culture War."

I believe this is what many Obama supporters mean when we speak of "change." We long to get down to the "common humanity" that we all share. Your defence of young John Rich is heartfelt and noble. What I mean by "noble" is that it is selfless. But please allow me to defend myself.

I am 65 and remember watching the Vietnam War on television, sometimes during our evening meal. I also remember watching television coverage of civil rights demonstrators getting hosed by huge fire hoses, assaulted by police dogs and beaten on their heads and bodies with billy sticks or something like them. I remember when Life Magazine devoted its cover to tiny square photos of the faces of all the America servicemen who died in the war. I remember when it published photos of flag-draped coffins being unloaded at the airport on its cover. I remember when Martin Luther King Jr. was murdered in Memphis. I was working for a southern newspaper at the time; it published the news on an inside page near the bottom. I first heard his "I have a dream" speech during the television coverage after his death. I saw and heard the horror and devastation of war on television; I witnessed the civil rights movement on television and came to grips with my own country's terrible shortcomings through television.

It was very, very difficult for me to hear a young man, John Rich, sing about that old, awful, killing war as though it were a good, even glorious thing. It was very difficult for me to stand by while he lionized an old man with old ideas because he got shot down while bombing civilian and military targets in an old discredited war. Because we no longer have the draft, John Rich is in no danger of getting caught up in either the war in Iraq or the one in Afghanistan. What value, aside from entertainment value (and perhaps propaganda value), is there in his effort to "raise up" McCain, a man who glorifies war and advocates more and more warfare, as a hero? John Rich risks nothing in this song. And I am forced to wonder what kind of songs he would be writing and singing if he were subject to the draft. What kind of audience would he have if all young men (and possibly women) in the United States were subject to the draft?

The draft was abolished after the Vietnam War. Today the burdens of war are carried by a very few military families. The Bush administration has been sneaking the bodies of our dead soldiers into the country under cover of darkness without any media attention whatsoever. Until recently most Americans paid nothing but hollow rhetoric and the cost of a few flag pins for the Iraq War. We weren't even encouraged to conserve gasoline until recently. But things are changing. The current financial crisis has much to do with the limited sacrifices our people were asked to make for the endless war Bush started and McCain favors. Our war debt is owned by foreign countries most notably China. This has weakened the dollar, formerly the world's standard currency, almost beyond recognition.

And what has the media been doing while our country has been going down the tubes? Not much. Not much at all. Television which used to report the news has become an entertainment medium almost exclusively, pandering to celebrities and their fans and refusing to endanger advertising profits by focusing on news (truth). What television does best is the cheerful nonsense Harry Smith and others package up in morning shows like the one being taped Tuesday morning in front of Belmont University. This sort of media fare is as hypnotic as a narcotic drug but instead of inducing sleep it has allowed us to cultivate our own "in group" fantasies which pit us against one another and keep real life and real reality at bay.

Guess what, Cremomma? Reality is back and it's not a show on MTV or any other television channel, that is unless it is smuggled in by an outlaw or the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, Ben Bernanke.

Comments

cremomma said…
I do not need to wake up, because I am fully awake. You have your thoughts and I have mine. I would, however, never try to disrupt another person's presentation of their beliefs as John Rich was doing.
If you have read anything about John Rich you might understand a little more of where he is coming from. His Grandfather was in WWII as my Grandfather was. He is not glorifying a war or a conflict such as Vietnam. He is glorifying the sacrifice of the soldiers from this country in doing the job they are told to do. He is sending a message that he respects John McCain's service to this country through his military experience. If you have ever heard the song The 8th of November by Big and Rich and read the story of how that song came about you might understand. If you want to talk about noble and selfless, every American soldier is exactly that. They love this country enough to do what is asked of them, even if they don't agree with the why of it all. I do agree with you that this country needs a lot of fixing, but the blame can't be put on one certain thing for the state that we are in. I totally respect that you have a strong faith that Obama is the man to start doing the fixing. You should have respected John Rich's strong faith in McCain and not tried to belittle that. If you had an avenue to promote Obama the same way that Mr. Rich had to promote his support in McCain, wouldn't you do it???
I do disagree with the song not being a risk for Mr Rich. He takes the risk of fans not buying his music (which is his living) because of his political beliefs. He apparently feels strongly enough about John McCain to make that choice. You also speak of him being a "young man". Yes he is young (34 years old), but that does not automatically make him stupid. You also describe how gracious he was in accepting your Obama pin. You should have also been just as gracious and not infringed upon his performance.
By doing this, you belittled his beliefs and made a mockery of his right to support the candidate of his choice.
I will also say again - did you listen to Mr Rich??? He first and foremost used his appearance on the early show to encourage EVERYONE to get out and vote for the candidate of their choice. He wants the younger generation to get out and have their voices heard by voting. If you stop to think about it, the younger voters are more likely to vote for the younger Obama. So maybe you should have been thanking Mr Rich for that instead of dogging him for his own political choices.
I still think your actions were wrong. I am not saying that your strong faith and support of Obama is wrong. I am (still) saying your actions of demeaning Mr Rich's performance and support of his candidate of choice was very rude and very wrong.
cremomma said…
Dear Artemisa,
Thank you for your post on my blog. As you can see by reading it, I am just a normal working woman. But, like you, I have opinions and am not afraid to state them. However, I was raised to not share who or what I am voting for. I show support in my own way and do my voting very quietly. You are very different in that aspect, as are many Americans, and I respect that. I was just taught that asking folks who they are voting for or sharing who I am voting for is not acceptable. You can tell this because in all of my posting I do not share who I am voting for.
You can see that I am fully awake, as you are, to the problems in this country. We may disagree as to how all of these problems came about, but we still agree that there is a lot of fixing to be done. I hope that whoever becomes President will start us on the road to this.
If you have read all of my blogs, you can see that I have first hand knowledge of the chaos of the healthcare system. I am on the front lines of this system and shake my head on a daily basis because of the things I see. I see the abuse and the inadequacy of this system. I am eager to have some improvements concerning insurance, the abuse that happens daily in our ER's, and the overall availability of what WORKING Americans need for their healthcare and insurance. You will be glad to know that my Mom does have a job now that offers insurance, unfortunately it is in another factory. I am not downing factories and the need for their product, I just worry about my Mother and the affect this work has on her 56 year old body. But, as she has always done, she does what she has to do. I learned many things from her and am proud of her on a daily basis.
I am glad that you understand how I felt about your actions toward John Rich. But, I also understand how "things happen in the moment" when folks are excited and passionate about something. We all can look back on a time in our lives where that exact thing happened to us. There are other bloggers that have the same opinion as I do concerning what happened on the early show. The difference is I see now, right or wrong, why it happened. I can realize that your passion for what you believed in took over. As I said, we are all guilty of that somewhere along the line.
I thank you for addressing this with me. I think you are a very educated and well spoken woman that is strong in her beliefs. I will find myself reading your blogs, because they do interest me. I may not be as well spoken as you are, but I, like you, write about the things I feel strongly about.
There is no animosity here. We have the same views on some things, but different on some others. I think that is what makes the world go around. It would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything, now wouldn't it???
Have a wonderful day Artemisa and I will be reading what you have to say on your blog with interest and respect.
cremomma
cremomma said…
Thank you for your respect and comments on my blog. How weird that a mutual respect has formed from what it started with. Shows that life works in mysterious ways. I will continue to also read your blogs, because they do interest me. You remind me of my Grandmother (no I am not calling you old), because she said exactly what she thought on whatever subject. I learned my brassiness from her and we share the middle name Marie.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I will be at work as usual!!! I love what I do, but I will shake my head a few times at the ridiculous things I have no control over.
PS you are never too old to chase your dreams!!
Cremomma aka Shelly

Popular Posts